As chair of the Texas Senate Criminal Justice Committee, John Whitmire has passed strong, anti-crime measures, while at the same time reforming our justice system to make it fairer and increasing its focus on rehabilitation.
As mayor, Whitmire will focus on:
- Increasing the number of police officers on the street and strengthening Houston’s Community Policing Program
- Keeping violent criminals behind bars and illegal guns off the streets
- Equipping HPD to better address mental health situations and enhance de-escalation training
- Providing“Second Chance” programs that integrate former offenders back into the community
- Teaming with schools, nonprofits and businesses to provide after-school programs and summer opportunities